Recruiting a candidate is a challenging task
It is not at all an easy task to refer a good candidate for any organization. As I am into the recruitment since 2006, I am still improving myself in my selection process. Off course, no one is 100% perfect in any area. Anyways, perfection is a different story and I don't bring this topic in this context.
The way I select a candidate from the interview is mainly based on his foundation/basic skills. If the foundation is not strong then there is no way to build a house on it in general. Similarly, in recruitment also, if a candidate is strong in foundation then he/she should pick the right things on right time. Once after the basic concepts are good from a candidate then I usually go a little deeper into the subject. With this approach, we will ask some practical scenarios, concepts/topics to see how good the candidate is.
Most of the times, the way of resume preparation gives us to eliminate the candidate quickly in 5-10 mins of discussion. I generally see the projects, roles, responsibilities and the experience of the candidate to find out whether he has real skills or not. Some times, filtration of a candidate with the help of resume is a bit challenging. I saw there are people who are very seniors but the way of resume preparation is not up to the mark.
I never want to test a candidate by arguing with him/her while recruiting. My way of recruitment style is a bit different compared to others. I generally want to get the info from the candidate by giving some clues in the process and I don't know whether this way of approach is good or not. Giving a clue in the interview means that we are giving little flexibility to recollect the things based on his/her knowledge. I don't want to prolong the interview for a long time of >1 hr until and unless he is giving the answers to most of my questions. I feel that if I spend >1 hr then he/she is close to the selection.
The bottom line of this post is that, we should not be partial while selecting a good candidate from the interview process.Also, we should not fell that we are great while taking the interview. Moreover, a interview should be always a smooth communication and there should be no scope for ego.
Note: All the above said details are based out of my experience and this may/may not true for all the people who are in the interview panel.
The way I select a candidate from the interview is mainly based on his foundation/basic skills. If the foundation is not strong then there is no way to build a house on it in general. Similarly, in recruitment also, if a candidate is strong in foundation then he/she should pick the right things on right time. Once after the basic concepts are good from a candidate then I usually go a little deeper into the subject. With this approach, we will ask some practical scenarios, concepts/topics to see how good the candidate is.
Most of the times, the way of resume preparation gives us to eliminate the candidate quickly in 5-10 mins of discussion. I generally see the projects, roles, responsibilities and the experience of the candidate to find out whether he has real skills or not. Some times, filtration of a candidate with the help of resume is a bit challenging. I saw there are people who are very seniors but the way of resume preparation is not up to the mark.
I never want to test a candidate by arguing with him/her while recruiting. My way of recruitment style is a bit different compared to others. I generally want to get the info from the candidate by giving some clues in the process and I don't know whether this way of approach is good or not. Giving a clue in the interview means that we are giving little flexibility to recollect the things based on his/her knowledge. I don't want to prolong the interview for a long time of >1 hr until and unless he is giving the answers to most of my questions. I feel that if I spend >1 hr then he/she is close to the selection.
The bottom line of this post is that, we should not be partial while selecting a good candidate from the interview process.Also, we should not fell that we are great while taking the interview. Moreover, a interview should be always a smooth communication and there should be no scope for ego.
Note: All the above said details are based out of my experience and this may/may not true for all the people who are in the interview panel.